Since it is summer in the US and Glee is on hiatus until they start season 3, the news about the show are still coming in: the tour, the Glee Project on Oxygen, new writers for the show, who’s graduating next season and more.
Here are some of the Glee Summer News 2011.
Update July 15th:
- Idina Menzel will return to Glee next season for a major arc that could span as many as 10-12 episodes. The Tony Award winner is in final negotiations to return to Glee for the upcoming third season to reprise her role as Shelby Corcoran (Rachel Berry´s biological mother, former coach of New Direction’s rival glee club Vocal Adrenaline and also she adopted Quinn and Puck’s baby girl). Next season will see Shelby returning from New York to Ohio to join William McKinley High School as a new teacher and complicating things for Rachel as well as former flame Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison). “I’m really excited the that Idina is joining the family again,” said Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy. “We missed her last year and we’re happy that she is coming back.” Source. This new adition for next season could be interesting since her character has many storylines with many regular characters on the show like Rachel, Mr. Schue, Quinn and Puck. Hopefully it can give some continuity to many storylines left in the open that where forgotten on season 2.
Update July 14th:
- Glee 3D Movie Trailer
- Christina Hendricks, Dermot Mulroney and Modern Family‘s Sarah Hyland have joined the cast of Brian Dannelly’s indie comedy Struck By Lightning, which was penned by Glee star and Emmy nominee Chris Colfer. Earlier it was known that Allison Janney is also starring on the film. Source
- Glee is nominated for the Primetime Emmys in the next categories:
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series – Jane Lynch
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Chris Colfer
Guest Actress in a Comedy Series – Gwyneth Paltrow, Dot Marie Jones, Kristin Chenoweth
More include: Hairstyling for a single-camera series (Sue Sylvester Shuffle), Make Up for a single-camera series (Rocky Horror Glee Show), Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series 1 hour (The Substitute), Outstanding costumes for a Comedy Series, Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (The Sue Sylvester Shuffle).
Update July 13th:
- Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith will not return for season 4. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, co-creator Ryan Murphy said that the three regulars will be among the characters who will graduate at the end of the upcoming season. Murphy added that planning for the future beyond high school will be a heavy theme during Season 3, noting that “more characters are leaving than are staying” when graduation time comes at the season’s end. Source I loved the first season of Glee, the second not so much, anyway I kept watching because I love the characters we met in the beginning (the 8 original Glee club members). However I probably won’t keep watching after they graduate. How about you?
Update July 9th:
- MTV’s Glee Live 3D! Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Glee Live! 3D First Look
- Matthew Morrison on tour with New Kids on the Block and the Backstreet Boys. He was the opening act at Wednesday concert stop at Honda Center in Anaheim, California. His set began with a video of him and Sue Sylvester, AKA Jane Lynch, riding in a car together. Morrison was singing along to a wide variety of songs that tortured Sylvester. She later told the crowd, “Enjoy the show, losers.” He sang a wide variety of songs from both his self-titled debut album and his covers from FOX’s “Glee.” Highlights from his performance included his own song, “Don’t Stop Dancing,” dedicated to “triple threats” Patrick Swayze and Michael Jackson, two men he continues to look up to. Also, his rendition of Kanye West’s “Gold Digger” got his home-town crowd pumped. Source
- Gwyneth Paltrow will not return to Glee on season 3. She told Jonathan Ross at the iTunes Festival Studio Sessions: “No, I don’t think so. I don’t think I should. Though it’s honestly been one of the best jobs I’ve ever had.” Source
Update July 7th:
- Kevin McHale and Jenna Ushkowitz sang Let it Be at the US embassy in Paris.
- Glee Live 3D! Don’t forget that Twentieth Century Fox Television and Twentieth Century Fox Film have partnered to present “Glee Live! 3D!,” a film of the U.S. summer concert tour, which will play a limited two-week release in cinemas worldwide beginning Aug. 12. Kevin Tancharoen, who directed the remake of the hit film “Fame,” will direct. Source
- Glee Live! Concerts break record at London’s O2 Arena. he London engagement of “Glee Live! In Concert!” has broken records for the most-attended concert in the history of the O2 Arena. Executives at the O2 announced that the four concerts that took place over the June 25-26 weekend brought in over 66,000 fans. The cast of the hit Fox television series received a special honor to commemorate their achievement. Source
- Glee will enter these six episodes in Emmy race for best comedy series: Audition, Silly Love Songs, Original Song, The Substitute, Duets and Never Been Kissed. Source
- A Glee insider has confirmed to TV Line that despite rumours of beign fired, Chord Overstreet is welcome to come back next season as a recurring character if he wants to. “His option to be a series regular was just not picked up at this time,” clarifies the source. “If Chord wants to appear on Glee, the choice is his. The Glee writers like his Sam character, and have plans to write for him. He and his reps have been told that he is welcome back to Glee, and everyone hopes he will show up on August 10 when filming begins.” The insider points out that it took Shum “two years to become a regular,” adding, “If Chord has a great season, which we expect he will, then he will become a regular like Harry, possibly as early as January.” Source
Update July 5th:
- More videos from the Glee Live Tour 2011. Here are a few videos from the last show from youtube user “Maddytia”.
Update July 4th:
- Fans are campaigning to keep Chord Overstreet’s Sam Evans on Glee. Since TV Line reported that Chord Overstreet was not signed as a cast regular for season 3, many Glee fans have been campaigning to keep his character on the show. Signs of the support Overstreet is getting from fans are over 3 thousand tweets and also the climb of Sam’s signature cover “Billionaire” in the Glee charts (from #64 to #10). Source. Geek4TV Comment: At the beginning of the season 2 I like Sam (he was cute and nerdy) but then I dislike him because he seemed shallow, but know when I am starting to like him again specially because he was going to start a relationship with Mercedes he is out of the show. I hate that he is leaving for many reasons: Mercedes was finally getting a boyfriend and now that boyfriend is out also Sam’s storyline of poverty and being homeless is an important issue. Wasn’t it the idea of bringing new Glee Club members so that when the “original” graduate we have the Glee Club still going? Isn’t it ironic that the only new Glee Club member (besides Lauren, who joined later in the season) the show got on season 2 is leaving on season 3? And last but not least, I feel really bad for Chord Overstreet who really worked hard for an entire season, even going on tour, to later find out he is out of the show. Also here is Zap2it’s Ten Reason Why The Glee Club Should Keep Sam Evans.
Update July 3rd:
- The Glee Live Tour 2011 has come to an end in Dublin. It has been a very succesful tour for Glee, now it’s time for the cast to enjoy some free time this summer (unless they are working on other projects). Thanks to the cast, crew and everyone involve in making Glee, we (the fans) really appreciate all your hard work. Looking forward to season 3 this september.
- Here are a few videos from the last couple of shows in Dublin. And another older video from the tour tweeted by Harry Shum Jr (this is a must see video!)
- Even though Chord Overstreet won’t be returning to Glee next season as a series regular don’t feel so bad for him, he is currently working on a solo album. He tweeted: “getting close to the end of the tour, cant wait to start working on my album when i get home!!! im gonna go full on!”. He now join the company of other Glee actors Matthew Morrison, Mark Salling and Naya Rivera who have released solo projects (Morrison and Salling) or have solo projects in the works (Rivera). Source
- Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. in for season 3, Chord Overstreet is out. TV Line confirmed this good/bad news, Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. have oficially been upgraded to full time series regulars starting this fall with season 3. However Chord Overstreet who joined the Glee Club last fall as recurring character Sam Evans will not be joining Glee as a series regular. Sources close to the show said that Overstreet could return as an ocassional guest star. Source
- Mark your calendars. Glee’s season 3 premiere date will be September 20th at 8:00pm (FOX). Source
- Glee Boss Ryan Murphy has confirmed graduation plans for some original characters for this upcoming season. He says that for original characters such as Rachel, Finn, Quinn and Puck this will be their senior year and that they will graduate. Source. Who do you think will be graduating this season? Will you still watch Glee after the original cast exits the show?
- Glee executive producers Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk will attend Comic Con on Sunday July 24th. Cast members are yet to be specified. Source
- Glee hires new writers for season 3. After two seasons of writing every single episode, Glee co creators/executive producer Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan are getting some help for the upcoming season. Joining them will be Allison Adler (Chuck, No Ordinary Family) as co-executive producer. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who did the rewrite of the Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark musical, was recently tapped as co-producer, with Buffy and Angel veteran Marti Noxon and frequent Christopher Guest collaborator Michael Hitchcock, who guest starred on the first season of Glee, serving as consulting producers. Rounding out the group are staff writers Matt Hodgson and Ross Maxwell. Source
- Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri) will not be returning to Glee next season as a series regular. Source. That’s not a surprise since she barely appear in season 2.
- Ryan Murphy reveals Sue’s new nemesis: the winner of The Glee Project. “The winner of The Glee Project is the person who she hates the most in the history of the show,” Murphy tells TVGuide.com exclusively. Source
- ‘The Glee Project’ debuts weeks in the rating with only 455,000 viewers. Source
- Karaoke Revolution Glee Volume 3
- Glee Tour. Inside Rehearsals video.
- Gwyneth Paltrow surprise guest appearance singing Forget You with the Glee cast during their Izod Center, East Rutherford Concert on June 16th.
- Darren Criss and Naya Rivera sing together Valerie at Irving Plaza on June 15th.
- Glee Stars on the big screen:
- Cory Monteith is in the movie Monte Carlo that opens July 1st.
- Jayma Mays stars with Neil Patrick Harris on the new Smurfs movie.
- Here are the links to some interviews and articles:
- Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: ‘Amazing Stories’ Coming or Mercedes, Mike, tina, and Sue
- ‘Glee’ Exec Producer Ryan Murphy reveals Season 3 Secrets: There will be only one tribute episode (Q&A)
- ‘Glee’ stars talk season three
- Glee Boss Ryan Murphy reveals Sue’s New Nemesis
- ‘Glee’ Choreographer Zach Woodle dishes on cast injuries
- Eye On Emmy: Glee Star Chris Colfer’s Comedy Kudos Quandary, ‘I Cry In Every Episode!’
- Cory Monteith: ‘I Don’t Want My Dating Life to Be Tabloid Fodder’
- Cory Monteith’s Turning Point
- ‘Glee’ Star Cory Monteith Teases ‘Big Story Line’. ‘I think that Finn has a lot of struggle left for him’, he tells MTV News of what fans can expect from season three.
- Max Adler: Closet Gleek
- Ryan Murphy on his new pilot ‘American Horror Story’ and adaptating ‘The Normal Heart’
- Glee Project Winner ‘Not Who You’d Expect’. Says Ryan Murphy
- Ryan Murphy’s interview with Ryan Seacrest radio show.